Reading Time: 2 minutes
E54: Leadership Development in a Fast-Paced Environment with MainStreet’s Patrick Sutton
This episode I’m joined by Head of People at MainStreet Patrick Sutton to discuss the incredible speed that the tech industry evolves, how leaders can develop their skills in such a fast-paced environment, and ways tech leaders can increase staff engagement.
Patrick Sutton has led remote teams since 2015, after starting his career in corporate he transitioned into the tech industry where he is currently the Head of People at MainStreet.
As Head of People, Patrick is responsible for leading the People function, and acting as a strategic business advisor to executive and senior management regarding key HR matters focusing on providing leadership and guidance specifically in Employee Relations, Compliance, Payroll, and Policies & Benefits. Here are a few of the topics we’ll discuss on this episode of People Analytics:
- The speed that tech industries evolve and how to keep up with it.
- The challenges of moving from one work culture to another.
- How to transition from corporate to tech.
- The skills you learn at corporate that transfer to working in tech.
- The value of accountability in the startup world.
- How to be a better startup manager.
- Ways to show active listening when communicating online.
- Leadership development techniques for a fast-paced environment.
- How to increase staff engagement.
- How knowing your audience helps you.
Get our best people analytics content right in your inbox.
Connect with Patrick Sutton:
Connect with the host:
- 05:12 – “This is my third tech company that I’m working at and I’ve learned gems from each place I’ve been but one thing that’s been consistent, tech moves fast and you have to be ready and just be prepared, expect the unexpected.”
- 10:47 – “Accountability is key, because if no one holds you accountable then I can promise you the world, who’s going to hold me accountable for it? I think that’s really big and it’s important here at MainStreet about accountability and transparency, they’re two of our key values that we practice daily.”
- 30:21 – “Just enjoy the ride, and I think at the end of the day understanding you’re why. I know my why, I do what I do because I love people, I love to see people be successful so if you know your why it drives you to be really successful and productive.”